A.K. Khan & Company Ltd. is a major player in the highly competitive business arena of Bangladesh with its wings spread all over the globe through various joint ventures. We have grown extensively in the last 67 years. From a small family-owned company established in 1945 and registered in 1951 as a diversified conglomerate group of companies, we have come a long way. Our strategic corporate policy of joint venture with some of the leading multi-national companies of the world, particularly, of this South Asian region; like Telekom Malaysia for GSM Telecommunications, Mitsui and Maruha of Japan for deep sea fishing, Coats of U.K for textile thread making, Pen-fabric of Malaysia for textile yarns – is bearing fruit. We feel it is crucial to have access to R&D and remain internationally competitive in the market place by introducing state-of-the-art technologies to the country and this can only be possible by collaboration with leading companies of the world.
We are, therefore, continuously seeking reputable international partners in new sectors –in the Hotel and Tourism Sector, Logistics and Infrastructure like ICD, Container Terminals, Power and Joint Venture partners for our existing manufacturing plants including Real Estate Development.
Our mission is to become one of the most valued companies in the country. In this, we are guided by the ethical values embedded in our company philosophy by our Founder Chairman, Late A. K. Khan, who is recognized as a pioneer industrialist of the country. His mission in life was to create an industrial and service sector base to provide productive employment and contribute to the economic development of the country.
This mission, we believe, is a “Trust” entrusted to the Management and the Board of company, so that we value our customers, our employees, our share holders and above all to our country-in its relentless effort towards economic take off in this century.
Managing Director’s Profile:
Mr. Salahuddin Kasem Khan is third son of pioneer industrialist of Bangladesh, Late A. K. Khan, who was the Member of Parliament from 1947 – 1962, former Federal Minister of Government of Pakistan (1958 – 1962).
He did his schooling from Aitchison College, Lahore, 1964; Graduated from the University of Punjab in 1968 and did Post Graduate in Legal Studies in London (1969 – 1972).
Mr.Khan was appointed as Honorary Consul General of the Republic of Turkey, Chittagong by the President of Turkey in 1984.
• Managing Director of A. K. Khan & Co. Ltd.
• Chairman of Coats (Bangladesh) Ltd., a joint venture with Coats U.K.
• Chairman A. K. Khan Jute Mills
• Vice Chairman of A. K. Khan Penfabric Company Ltd., A JV with Penfabric Malaysia of Malaysia and subsidiary of Toray, Japan
• Director of Bengal Fisheries Ltd., joint ventures with Nichiro & Maruha of Japan
• Former Chairman of AKTEL, Bangladesh.
• Chairman of the First Bangladesh-Malaysia Business Forum, 2004, held in Dhaka, with
the participation of former Prime Minister of Malaysia, H.E. Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, as key note speaker.
• Immediate Past President of Bangladesh Employers’ Federation.
• Immediate Past President of Bangladesh-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BMCCI).
• Former Chairman of Bangladesh Textile Mills Association, BTMA.
• Founder-Director of the Chittagong Stock Exchange; Member National Council for Industrial Development (NCID) headed by the President(1980 -90);
• Member, Task Force on Industrial Policy, Minister of Planning, GOB(1990);
• Former Chairman of UCEP – Bangladesh Board of Governors and present Chairman, UCEP Chittagong Advisory Council, Chittagong.
• Chairman, Chittagong Skills Development Centre (CSDC).
• Co-Chairman of the EC National Skills Development Council (NSDC),
• Member NSDC headed by the Prime Minister;
• Vice Chairperson, IC Nazrul. Trustee Secretary, A. K. Khan Foundation;
• Vice Chairman, A. K. Khan – CRP Centre, Chittagong;
• Founder Chairman, Forum of Consuls of Bangladesh.
• Chairman of the private sector SEACO TASK FORCE BANGLADESH and Executive
Chairman of the SEACO Foundation.
• Member of the International Advisory Panel of the World Islamic Economic Forum (WIEF) Foundation, Kuala Lumpur whose patron is the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
• Mr. Khan has recently been nominated to the Member Academic Council of the Madinah Institute for Leadership and Entrepreneurship (MILE), Medina, Saudi Arabia.
• Mr. Khan holds a longstanding commitment to the gradual realization of the IFTA and
an Islamic Common Market. The Formation of SEACO(South–East Asian Co-operation),
under OIC Frame Work, which was endorsed by the 10th Islamic Summit, Qatar, 2000.